Still long lines for DSWD aid

Despite repeated advice from the Department of Social Welfare and Development to register online, several individuals continued to line up at the DSWD office hoping to be accommodated as recipients of financial aid for students.

DSWD had issued public announcements that it will not entertain walk-ins, still crowds milled about in the central office of the agency in Quezon City and its NCR office in Manila.

The payout center was not even at both offices since it has been transferred to the National Vocational Rehabilitation Center in Project 4 but many people still took their chance at getting an instant appointment at the DSWD headquarters in Barangay Batasan Hills this Saturday.

Most of the parents and students who lined up wanted to inquire about procedures as they complain about not receiving the confirmation message through text or email.

The DSWD previously advised that those who want to receive cash assistance have to register online or email their application to ciu.co@dswd.gov.ph.

Applicants were told to visit the DSWD website for information on the program.

“DSWD Secretary Erwin Tulfo texted me earlier and told me to check our central office, even here at the NCR office as there are still queues that formed, so our appeal is for recipients to follow procedures. Our time won’t be wasted, we are asking for understanding and forgiveness. If we follow, it will prove that we can organize our system of distribution,” according to DSWD Assistant Secretary Romel Lopez.

Right now, there are more than 200 payout centers designated by the department to distribute educational assistance.

Palace issues appeal

Malacañang also urged students to avail of the financial assistance by registering online.

“For NCR residents who want to apply for education assistance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development NCR, register at this link) https://forms.gle/4KohFYnbamsyiNGJ6,” the Office of the Press Secretary wrote in a social media post.

It also advised students to monitor the official Facebook page of the DSWD and its field offices for the latest updates on the educational cash grant.

DSWD spokesperson Assistant Secretary Rommel Lopez on Saturday said guidelines to accommodate those who have no access to the Internet and gadgets will be released soon.

He also confirmed the cancellation of the distribution of cash aid in Boac, Marinduque “due to the growing number of walk-in applicants.”

“This involves avoiding potential disorders and adhering to safety and health protocols. The DSWD Central Office and our field offices reiterated that we discourage walk-ins in Saturday’s payout to comply with safety and health protocols,” Lopez said.

“We ask for the cooperation of all in the proper functioning of the payout.”

Lopez noted that those who received a text confirmation after registering online can receive the cash aid.

The DSWD will contact the qualified students through calls and text messages to inform them about the schedule of distribution.

The DSWD educational assistance program, which will run until 24 September, will be given to “students-in-crisis” to help them pay for school tuition fees, school supplies, transportation allowance, and other school-related expenses.

The agency has started distributing cash aid amounting to P1,000 for elementary students, P2,000 for those in high school, P3,000 for those in senior high school, and P4,000 for those in college or taking up vocational courses.

Confirmation needed

The agency reminded the public it will only accommodate only those who have received text messages or confirmation of their registration online.

“If you walk in, you will only add to the number of people, you will be exposed, we still have a Covid-19 problem,” he said.

AS for aid seekers who don’t have access to the internet or do not own cell phones, DSWD said the DSWD has a program with DILG to reach aid beneficiaries.

“We will go down to your areas with the help of representatives from LGUs, we’ll be the ones to look for you, and at the same time allow an offsite payout. We have access to the data of poor households and of course with the help of LGUs,” Lopez said.

As of 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, 42,589 beneficiaries received educational assistance, with the amount disbursed at P106,331,000.

MICHELLE GUILLANG
@tribunephl_mish

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *