Haciendas next Red targets
Occupation of farmlands or haciendas is the next phase of the “Red October Project” based on documents recently seized from communist rebels.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said it had sent warnings to the specific targets of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA).
Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo, AFP spokesman, said the military already forewarned three haciendas in various parts of the country supposedly targeted by operation plan “Bungkalan” and two private companies being considered for Oplan “Aklasan.”
Oplan “Bungkalan” is the CPP-NPA’s campaign to forcibly occupy farmlands, create untoward incidents then blame them on the government.
Police and military declared the massacre of nine sugar farmworkers in Sagay City last week as part of the Oplan “Bungkalan.”
“We have forewarned anew the managements of three haciendas nationwide that are targets of the CPP-NPA’s ‘Oplan Bungkalan.’ And that if that happens, we advised them to resolve the same peacefully,” Arevalo said.
“We have alerted AFP and counterpart PNP (Philippine National Police) units in those locations and intensified our intelligence monitoring,” he added.
He said the CPP-NPA is also eyeing another city in Central Visayas for its Oplan “Okupasyon” that includes forcible occupation of government housing projects similar to the activities of the Kadamay in Bulacan.
“The CPP-NPA will not stop its dastardly plans hence we have forewarned all concerned. These said, the AFP and other security forces with the support of our people will frustrate the plans of this communist terrorist group,” Arevalo said.
“It pays to be forewarned. It will be best to heed the warnings,” he added.
Last month, the military revealed the “Red October Project” of the CPP-NPA which was designed to oust President Duterte from office.
Under “Red October Project” were several operation plans, including “Bungkalan,” “Aklasan” and “Okupasyon.”
The CPP-NPA will not stop its dastardly plans.
Other campaign plans were “Bulldozer” targeting mining companies and government infrastructure projects; “Supermarket” designed to amass firearms through raids and ambuscades on police and military; “Casino” or the liquidation of government assets and intelligence agents and “Tabasco” targeting suspected “tokhang” agents or suspects in the alleged extrajudicial killings.
“The investigation by the PNP to determine who were in that band of armed men who pulled the trigger is ongoing. But what is known so far, per police report, is that NFSW cadres brought the victims to the place of their demise,” he said.
“And for that, the leaders should be liable as the trigger men themselves (in case the trigger men were not their members) as principals to the crime by indispensable cooperation,” Arevalo said.
Exactly a week after nine farmers were killed, the PNP has filed multiple murder cases against two suspects and seven other unidentified persons.
Chief Supt. John Bulalacao, director of Police Regional Office-Western Visayas, said at a press conference those charged were Rene Manlangit and Rogelio Arquillo who were identified as recruiters of NFSW.
The case was filed by the Sagay City Police Station headed by Chief Insp. Robert Mansueto before the City Prosecutor’s Office late Friday afternoon.
Arevalo said the overt acts of NFSW in bringing their nine recruits to camp in, with intent to possess a parcel of land that does not belong to them triggered their death.
The group even had the callousness to collect P500 from the victim’s family as “rental” for every hectare the victims will occupy, he added.
Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/
Follow us on social media