No Filipinos hurt in Thai nursery attack

The Department of Foreign Affairs on Friday said that no Filipino was hurt in the recent mass killing in a nursery in Thailand that claimed at least 38 people, including 24 children.

In a phone patch with Philippine Ambassador Millicent Cruz-Paredes to Thailand, the DFA said “no Filipino casualty has been reported.”

The department said that the Philippine Embassy in Thailand is on top of the situation and actively communicating with the authorities in Thailand to assess the situation of Filipinos living near Nong Bua Lam Phu where the incident took place.

“The Embassy is in contact with the Royal Thai Police and has reached out to the Filipino community in the area,” the department said.

In a separate statement, the Philippine Embassy in Bangkok expressed condolences to the people and government of Thailand regarding the recent tragedy in the country.

“The Philippine Embassy expresses heartfelt condolences and sympathies to the people and government of the Kingdom of Thailand for the injured and lost loves in the shooting tragedy earlier today in Nongbua Lamphu province,” the statement read.

“The Embassy is working with Thai authorities and the Filipino community in Thailand to ascertain if any Filipino is among the casualties or injured,” it added.

Likewise, the Embassy expressed readiness to offer assistance to any affected Filipino nationals and their families.

It also appealed to the public to inform the Embassy if they have any direct relevant information on the affected Filipinos by the incident.

“We also appeal to the public to inform the Embassy right away if they have any direct relevant information to any affected Filipinos by calling the Philippine Embassy hotline at +66-89-926-5954,” it said.

According to a recent report by the Thai authorities, Panya Kamrab, a former police officer, began the killing spree in Nong Bua Lam Phu province at about 12:30 p.m. in a childcare center where children were sleeping at the time.

Kamrab, who was fired from the force last year because of his involvement in drug trafficking, then went home after the incident and killed his wife and child before taking his own life.

Authorities said the attacker was in a manic state but it was unknown whether it was drug-related.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *